The Suspended Summit will examine the role public schools play in funneling students into the prison system due to elements of the criminal justice system having entered public schools around the country. The result of this element has led to zero tolerance policies and student policing that disproportionately impact children of color. Experts will share information about how these practices impact our community and efforts to create effective change. The Suspended Summit will also include a tour of the Suspended art exhibit showcasing artwork by youth.
The summit will showcase presentations and discussions with leaders in the community.
• 12:30-12:45 Opening remarks, addressing Youth Justice Action Month by Jennifer Tibbetts, Civil Rights Investigator
• 12:45-1:30 Presentation by Jill Padgett, Division of Criminal and Juvenile Justice Planning- will provide information on Iowa’s data on issues such as disproportionate minority contact within the juvenile justice system and recent data regarding the use of school resource officers and youth involvement with the juvenile justice system.
• 1:30-2:30 Presentation by Lyric Sellers and Endi Montavlo-Martinez, Youth Justice Council- will share the youth-led efforts that have addressed issues concerns the juvenile justice system and the lives of youth in Iowa.
• 2:30-3:00 Tour of art exhibit Suspended: Systemic Oppression In Our Schools
• 3:00-3:45 Panel Discussion to raise awareness and move towards change with Jill Padgett, Lyric Sellers, Endi Montavlo-Martinez, Dr. Ruth White, Ana Clymer
• 3:45-4:00 Closing remarks by Jennifer Tibbetts
This event is free and open to the public. No registration is required.
The African American Museum of Iowa is a statewide museum dedicated to preserving, exhibiting, and teaching Iowa’s African American History.
The Cedar Rapids Civil Rights Commission works to eliminate discrimination and disparities and increase equity by responding to the needs of the community, investigating complaints of discrimination, and providing education and outreach.