Attendance: Nicole Schroeder, George Heeren, Jeff Wozencraft, Denise Klemp, Rose Heetland, Henrietta Mueller, Jackie MacLaren, Lt. Tobey Harrison, Chief Greg Smith
- CRPD - Lt. Tobey Harrison - Review of Cedar Rapids Police Calls for Service. Lt. Harrison explained risk for car theft in winter weather. In report, we discussed the robberies number increase. All robberies have resulted in an arrest.
- CRFD - Chief Greg Smith - Review of Neighborhood News. Review of home fire safety during winter months. Suggested replacement of furnace filters and annual furnace inspections. Be aware of cooking hazards and space heaters. Review of appropriate recyclables. Denise Klemp and Nicole Schroeder suggested educational materials and stickers for recycling curby be mailed to community. Chief Smith will be relaying our suggestions to solid waste representatives.
- City of Cedar Rapids - Jeff Wozencraft - Introduction as new City Planner assigned to the City Neighborhood Associations. Review of City Bike / Scooter program. Review of Paving for Progress updates from last week’s City Neighborhood meeting.
- Treasurer’s Report - Nicole Schroeder - Current checking account balance $1,060.52. No change after PayPal balance of $50 transferred in and out to our savings account. Current savings account (Playground Project) balance is $11,279.03.
- Playground Project Update - Currently waiting on three checks: $1,000 from Alliant Energy Foundation grant, $1,500 from ITC Midwest grant program, and $50,000 from Hall-Perrine Foundation grant. George will be working with City to receive payment of $6,000 out of our City Budget to put into savings and be included in Playground Project funding. Rose Heetland, Gaylon Heetland, Denise Klemp, Nicole Schroeder, and George Heeren met with Scott Hock and his associates at the Parks Department today. Reviewed budget and CANA’s requests for the playground upgrades. They are submitting Requests for Proposals from playground companies in the coming weeks. Instead of one main structure, we will increase the playground footprint and add two structures in addition to other standalone items and additional swing bays. The net climber has been pre-ordered as that footprint is already determined by the Parks Department’s landscape architect. Everyone is very excited for this to finally come together! George Heeren personally thanked everyone for their contributions of time, talent, and treasure to this project.
- Community Information Night - CANA hosted our first Community Information Night last Thursday with the Neighborhood Finance Corporation. Only two in attendance, despite the event being advertised on HooplaNow, Craigslist, and Facebook. NFC did not advertise the event publicly. Jackie MacLaren was in attendance at the event and commented that the information was not clear and the program seems “too good to be true” as they do not offer information from those who have participated in the program. George Heeren is going to relay this feedback to them. George Heeren also mentioned that Carleta Cherry is in the process of obtaining funding from NFC, so he will have her speak to the program as well on feedback.
- December Meeting - There will be NO DECEMBER MEETING for CANA. We will resume normal monthly meetings in January, pending weather.
- Winter Neighborhood Events - Rose Heetland shared information on the Trinity Lutheran Shoppe & Social on Sat 12/7 from 3-6pm. Nicole Schroeder shared the information for Jefferson High School’s Free Holiday Dinner on Wed 12/18 from 5-8pm.
Meeting adjourned at 7:55pm.