Attendance: George Heeren, Amy Hall-Haney, Annette Lorenz, Henrietta Mueller, Gaylon Heetland, Denise Klemp, Ashley Vanorny, Nicole Schroeder
- No CRPD report
- No CRFD report
- Treasurer's Report - Amy Hall-Haney - $474.93 + pending reimbursements, including $190 for tax prep and $400 for insurance. Nicole will be following up with Jeff on these reimbursements.
- Derecho Clean Up
Gaylon Heetland shared his concerns about the lack of clean up on the two-block area around 1600 8th Ave SW. This is a snow route so it should have been cleaned in the first pass. There is also a bus stop at 8th Ave / 18th St that has not been cleared. Ashley and Annette will be following up with the city on these concerns. The Cleveland area has had one pass and some streets have seen the second pass already. Henrietta Mueller is concerned as it is very difficult and unsafe to exit her driveway. Nicole will work to make sure that Gaylon and Henrietta get information from Annette and Ashley’s follow up efforts.
Ashley Vanorny also commented that trees are being tagged and removed in our area. X on the tree means the City will be removing. A dot on the tree means that it will be trimmed. Residents are encouraged to advise against / for any trees that should or shouldn’t be removed. City is also going back to removing strictly ash trees after the derecho clean up is complete.
Tree Debris Removal Map Link
Tree Debris Removal FAQs
Tree Damage Information
General Debris Removal Information
Call 319-286-5747 with questions and to report trees blocking streets or roadways and public tree, limbs or debris that needs to be removed.
- Street Lights - George Heeren has been following up on the street lights around Cleveland Park and on 17th St. He has been working with and waiting for information from Alliant Energy on this. He will report back at the next meeting.
- Area Housing - Ashley Vanorny - There is a new housing development on SW side with 2 and 3 bedroom rental units that will be complete in 2021. Shelters are being cleared from families affected by the derecho and assistance is available through the Catherine McCauley Center.
- 2102 Chandler St SW - Multi-Plex Update
* Fire February 2019
*Sold to Abel Investments 6/17/19
*Nuisance case closed September 2019, as there was a new owner and permits were in process of obtaining.
*Demolition Reserve released October 2019 to owner@ time of fire
* Building permit issued 12/18/19 to REPAIR FROM FIRE DAMAGE - REPLACE FLOOR TRUSSES WHERE NECESSARY TO 3-UNIT.
o Rough-in Framing partial passed 1/8/20 for floor joists only
*Electrical Permit issued 1/13/20
o Service Entrance passed 1/20/20
*Plumbing Permit issued 6/17/20
- Chandler St SW - Road Construction
Sidewalk and steps for the new ADA-compliant access to the Jefferson High School softball complex are complete. Throughout the project area, grading and sod placement will begin shortly and extend into early November.
We expect Chandler Street between 10th Avenue and 8th Avenue will reopen early this week. 18th Street between 1st Avenue and 8th Avenue is expected to reopen by the end of October. Chandler Street between 8th Avenue and 18th Street is expected to reopen early November. We expect to complete all work well before the Thanksgiving holiday.”
- ReLeaf Tree Adoption Event
Veterans Memorial Stadium - Sunday, Oct. 25
1:00pm – 4:00 pm.
(Order by Oct. 23 at 11:00 am)
Noelridge Park - Sunday, Nov. 1
1:00pm – 4:00 pm.
(Order by Oct. 30 at 11:00 am)
Purchase your beautiful native trees or shrubs at this secure online site. If you don’t have access to the internet, you can purchase by phone. Please call us at 319-373-0650 x110 and speak with Deb Roman.
Trees must be purchased before pickup date. There will be limited numbers of each species at both locations. WEBSITE: https://trees-forever-tree-adoption.square.site
- Halloween guidelines by CDC
- Avoid direct contact with trick-or-treaters.
- Give out treats outdoors, if possible.
- Set up a station with individually bagged treats for kids to take.
- Wash hands before handling treats.
- Wear a mask.
- Trunk-or-Treat at Central Church of Christ - Amy Hall-Haney - Cancelled for 2020.
- Hillside Community Church - Free community meal on Saturday, October 24th from 4pm to 6pm via drive thru at Hillside on 1st Ave NW.
- Cedar Rapids Museum of Art - Denise Klemp - 125 Masterworks from The Collection is open to the public through January 7, 2021. More information here: https://www.crma.org/exhibitions/current/125-125-Masterworks-from-the-collection
- Little Library at Cleveland Park - We would like to thank Sheryl Ochs’ friend, Tom Hess, for fixing our little library at the park! He has turned it around so it is facing 1st Ave. Denise is working on fixing the sign that will be put on the backside of the library facing 8th Ave for passersby to see.
Annette Lorenz's tree debris clean up update: I just talked to Forestry. I explained the situation with the 1600 Block of 8th Ave. SW and the bus stop at 8th Ave. and 15th St. SW and the concerns that this area has been missed on the organic storm debris clean-up. I also explained the concern with the debris at the bus stop and the storm debris. Forestry took all of my information and would notify Public Works Engineering department of an area that was possibly missed by the trucks and if they could add it into their list to get it checked. She was not able to provide a time line, but she said she would notify Public Works.