October is National Fire Prevention Month and fire departments around the country mark October 9-15 as National Fire Prevention Week.
Cedar Rapids Fire encourages you to PLAN AND PRACTICE your home and workplace escape plans this month and to attend their annual Open House.
Start your fire safety plan:
- Install smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside sleeping areas and on every floor of your home.
- Inspect and test smoke alarms. Replace alarms every 10 years and install new batteries every year.
- Sleep with doors closed to prevent the spread of fire and smoke in your home.
- Have an escape plan and practice it with your family.
- Get low and GO in a fire. Crawl to avoid smoke inhalation and get outside to the FRONT of your home. It’s easier for firefighters to account for occupants if they can see everyone.
- Teach children how to call 911 and to give their address to dispatchers.