Attendance: George Heeren, Carleta Cherry, Nicole Schroeder, Ashley Vanorny, Denise Klemp, Gary Keller, Annette Lorenz, Greg Smith, and Lt. Harrison
Call To Order: 7:00PM
- Lt. Harrison - Cedar Rapids Police Department
- Treasurer's Report - Nicole Schroeder (Acting Treasurer)
- After today's $400 deposit from City reimbursement, current balance of bank account is $3,735.52.
- Outstanding bills include permit fees for 6/22 Safe Fest as well as other miscellaneous expenses for Safe Fest. Final payments due will be settled after the festival as we are combining expenses with Central Church of Christ.
- Chief Greg Smith - Cedar Rapids Fire Department
- Annette Lorenz - Safe CR
- Nicole Schroeder reported overgrown lawn that is obstructing line of sight for vehicles exiting the Jefferson High School lower parking lot at the bottom of Chandler St. Property address is 2101 Chandler St SW. This is a vacant property as of the early 2019 fire. Property has been ordered to be demolished or repaired by July 15th. Since the report of overgrown lawn last week, the property has been cleared of lawn debris and grass has been mowed. For reference, city code is a maximum of 12 inches in height.
- Gary Keller reported broken glass to the Parks Department in the restrooms at the Cleveland Park Pavilion early last week. It has since been cleaned up.
- Chief Greg Smith said that charcoal briquettes should NOT be disposed of in the grass or yardy carts after grilling. Briquettes should be watered down and disposed of properly where there is no risk for heating/fire.
- Councilwoman Ashley Vanorny - City of Cedar Rapids District 5
- July 13th is "Ride the District" bike ride. Ashley will be joined by Councilwoman Poe and the ride will be split into two days: one day specifically in District 5, the other day throughout the entire city.
- Cleveland Elementary School will be in the first round of schools rebuilt in the Cedar Rapids Community School District. The new school will be built on the same property and opened in 2021. More information to come on that.
- The City is looking for a new, clean, and simple flag design. Design applications will be accepted through November 2019.
- George questioned if Ashley knew anything about the land development near the Cedar Rapids Airport. Ashley commented that the land is willingly being sold for development by the current land owners.
- Safe Fest 2019
- Safety fair is this Saturday. We will set up beginning at 7am at the park. HyVee will be delivering the pancake batter and pre-cooked sausage links at 7:30am. CANA is providing milk, juice, and water. We will NOT be doing eggs this year. This is different than years past. Nicole will update Safe Fest information to reflect this. Festival starts at 8am and runs until 12pm. Most in attendance at tonight's meeting will be volunteering for CANA as well as others who were not in attendance at the meeting tonight.
- Playground Updates
- George, Galen, and Nicole will be meeting with Parks Director Scott Hock on Tuesday 6/25 at 2pm at Cleveland Park to discuss playground equipment and a preliminary footprint/design to approach businesses, sponsors, etc. Others are welcome. We are looking for a total fundraising amount of $85,000 through direct mail, online marketing, and sponsorships/donations from businesses.
- We have the pedestals for the soon-to-be sign install by the City!
Meeting adjourned at 8:01pm.
UPDATE 6/19/19, per Councilwoman Ashley Vanorny: Coolidge (NOT Cleveland) Elementary is scheduled for phase 1 of the CR schools master plan scheduled for replacement and opening 2021.