Call to Order: 7:02pm
Attendance: Nicole Schroeder, Jeff Wozencraft, Wayne Jerman, Annette Lorenz, Greg Smith, George Heeren, Susan Johnston
- CRPD / Lt. Tobey Harrison - Review of police stats. At or below 5 year average for 2019. Lt. Harrison made the announcement that he will be resigning from the CRPD effective 1/31/20 as he has accepted a position at Kirkwood Community College. Chief Wayne Jerman spoke in appreciation for Lt. Harrison’s work with the CRPD and in our neighborhood. We will have a new CRPD officer assigned to CANA in the next few months. George shared our appreciation of his service to our neighborhood and our city with Lt. Harrison.
- CRFD / Chief Greg Smith - Review of Neighborhood News. Review of 2020 CRFD Safety Programs scheduled for the 4th Wednesday of each month at CRFD. These programs are free and open to the public. Chief Smith spoke on winter home safety, including carbon monoxide safety, space heater safety, and wall plug-ins. So far this winter, they have had 2 carbon monoxide calls.
- SAFE CR / Annette Lorenz - Review of Calls for Service since 12/1/19. Calls are reported by quadrant (not neighborhood association): NW had 11 calls and SW had 48 calls since 12/1/19. Annette urged us to monitor neighborhood sidewalk safety and street storage safety during the winter months. George Heeren inquired about motor home parking in public parking lots in our area. Annette commented that it is always a private vs. public parking lot issue, but all suspicious vehicles should be reported to CRPD. George Heeren also shared a concern from neighbor George Jaeger in regards to what looks like an abandoned home with broken windows on 15th St SW. Annette will follow up with George and George on this home.
- Treasurer’s Report / Nicole Schroeder - Review of 12/31/19 bank statements, including $1,060.52 in our general savings account and $63,781.33 in our Playground Project savings account. Playground Project savings account has recently had $5,000 check deposited from another grant, so balance should be at $68,781.33. We will be withdrawing funds from this account once the playground project payment is due, per Scott Hock with CR Parks Department.
- Playground Project - Update from Scott Hock via email. No other updates at this time.
- CRPD Chief Wayne Jerman shared review of 2019 CRPD Crime Stats. He commented that he is pleased with overall reports. Thefts of motor vehicles has increased, due to individuals leaving vehicles unlocked and running with keys inside. CRPD is launching an outreach campaign to help increase awareness and reduce risk. Theft from motor vehicles has increased, specifically guns being stolen from unlocked vehicles. CRPD had 135 applications for their 2020 recruitment period with 100 scheduled to test. They will be hiring 12-15 officers from the academy class with scheduled graduation for October 2020.
- Jeff Wozencraft with City of Cedar Rapids shared 2020 census information. Postcards will be mailed to homes and census will be completed online with community census registration locations. Locations TBA. We are encouraged to assist neighbors without internet access to complete the census.
- Review of FY21 Work Plan & Q2 Budget Sheet
- Nicole Schroeder is looking for neighbors within CANA to put 18x24 signs in their yards come spring to advertise our social media (www.facebook.com/CANA108). We have more engagement on our social media than our email blasts on a regular basis and gives us a better opportunity to share messages quickly to neighbors.
- Susan Johnston from Central Church of Christ set up the first Safety Fair planning meeting for Wednesday, January 29th at 6:30pm at Central. Nicole will be contacting the Jaycees and Collins CCU to invite them to the meeting. Susan and George will be contacting SAFE Kids Linn County, CRPD, and CRFD to organize representatives to attend as well.
- Cleveland Elementary PTA invited CANA to speak at their February 4th meeting. Nicole and George will be attending, but all CANA neighbors are invited who are interested in learning more about Cleveland’s PTA. Meeting will be held at Cleveland Elementary at 6:30pm. We will be sharing information on the playground project and safety fair.
- 2020/2021 Events
- Pancake Breakfast - Summer 2020
- National Night Out - August 2020
- Safety Fair - Summer 2020
- Community Garden - Spring 2020
- Movies in the Park - Spring/Summer/Fall 2020 (1/month)
- Easter Egg Hunt - April 2020 (TBD - George is organizing more information)
- Concerts / Performances in the Park - Summer/Fall 2020 (TBD - Nicole is contacting Jefferson High School’s fine arts departments about this)
- Other event ideas?? Please send ideas to CANA board at email@example.com
- Pancake Breakfast - Summer 2020
Meeting adjourned at 7:55pm.