The City’s contract provides for restoring disturbed lawn areas with topsoil and sod after construction. Mid-American Energy Co.’s contractor will backfill any excavations, and place temporary erosion control until the City’s contractor begins work.
Paving for Progress Update from Lee J. Tippe
We expect construction will extend into the 2022 construction season. That DOES NOT mean project area residents will have no access to their homes for two years. Recognizing the number of residences in the project area, and that many of the residents are older and/or have health issues, the project area is divided into multiple sub-areas each nominally 500-feet long. Within those sub-areas, residents will still have access to their driveways except when trenching for storm sewer or water main, or pavement or driveway construction occurs in front of their residence. Every effort will be made to provide adequate advance notice to residents and to accommodate special needs such as access for medical deliveries or home care assistance.
Additional information re staging:
· Access to the project area will be maintained either from the Chandler Street SW at 10th Avenue SW or the 16th Avenue SW at 20th Street SW intersections at all times.
· All construction, including pavement construction, at the intersection to Jefferson High School will be completed when school is out-of-session (early June to mid-August).
· Our goal is to complete underground and pavement construction on 20th Street SW in 2021.
· The contract includes provisions for placing temporary pavement where necessary. No crushed rock surfaces will be allowed over Winter 2021-2022.
· Emergency access will be maintained at all times."
If you have any questions, please contact:
Lee J. Tippe, PE
Project Engineer II, Public Works Department, Engineering Division
City of Cedar Rapids
500 15th Avenue SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
Office No.: (319) 286-5816