Attendance: George Heeren, Amy Hall-Haney, Nicole Schroeder, Annette Lorenz, Chief Smith, Lt. Welsh, Hashim Taylor, Gaylon Heetland, Bre Oxley
- Treasurer’s Report - Amy Hall Haney - $1,383.34 is our current balance. We found that Collins CCU still has our savings account open that we previously thought we had closed. Amy will follow up on that. Light The Neighborhood expenses have been reimbursed, and we are still waiting on the reimbursement for the live streaming equipment. Jeff Wozencraft (attending virtually through Facebook) commented that reimbursement is in the works.
CRPD - Lt. Welsh - Two calls for service with no official reports, but two police officers have come out for burglary investigation. There are a total of 19 guns reported stolen in 2022 in Cedar Rapids. Job listings will be opening for current positions, due to recent promotions. Addressed Taboo Night Club shooting and discussed suspects as well as how CRPD responded.
- Bre Oxley asked if incidents in the CRPD report include school properties. Lt. Welsh confirmed the reports include incidents on school properties.
CRFD - Chief Smith - CRFD is working on their 5 year strategic plan. Passed out survey to be completed. Nicole will add the survey online for neighbors to print and complete, then email to Chief Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of disaster preparations with proper home supplies to protect you for up to 72 hours. Handout provided is from FEMA.gov. There have been two recent house fires in Cedar Rapids. The one from earlier last week was because of combustible materials near a space heater. CRFD is hiring starting May 2nd with shifts starting after 8 weeks of training near the 4th of July.
- Safety & Wellness Fair is coming up this summer. We are looking at hosting on the 3rd Saturday in July (7/16). Sydney with CRFD will be our contact again this year.
SAFE-CR - Annette Lorenz - No report from Annette.
- George Heeren reported the vacant homes on 17th St SW are now occupied.
- Citizens Review Board - City Neighborhood Association Meeting today shared information on the Citizens Review Board. More information about the Citizens Review Board is available online and additional Citizens Review Board communications will be shared on our CANA Facebook and website.
- Bre Oxley - Running for Linn County Supervisor District 1. Stacy Walker is not seeking re-election. The new District 1 map includes the CANA area, closer to Walford, Fairfax, Ely, NW Cedar Rapids, and part of Downtown Cedar Rapids. Bre’s contact information is listed at www.oxleyforsupervisor.com.
Hashim Taylor with CR Parks & Recreation Department - Introductions. George Heeren shared the history of Cleveland Park and the recent Playground Project. Hashim is from Alexandria, VA and felt very welcome when he visited Cedar Rapids for the first time. He was very moved by our sense of community during the derecho and since during derecho recovery efforts. He is excited about having “boots on the ground” this summer. He was at the Rollin’ Recmobile at Cleveland Park during Spring Break just a few weeks ago.
- Gaylon Heetland shared the request to add two additional swings in the Cleveland Park playground with our current 2021-2022 budget. He also asked about a replacement for the weed barrier/membrane. Hashim is interested in continuing these requests and working with the Parks Supervisor on this request.
- George Heeren shared with Hashim about the mural in the Cleveland Park structure and his previous request to add shade structures around the playground and pool. These are already in the works with our budget. He also asked about following up on the parking lot improvements. Hashim is open to looking into this request as it has been a topic/request from CANA for the last three years.
- Nicole Schroeder asked about the Rollin’ Recmobile schedule for summer 2022. Schedule is pending as the City is adding a second recmobile this year.
Paving for Progress Update - Nicole Schroeder shared a notice of construction that neighbors received this past week for the Chandler St SW project. All Paving for Progress correspondence will continue to be shared on our CANA Facebook page and website.
- Gaylon Heetland asked for an update on the 8th Ave SW Paving for Progress project. Nicole Schroeder shared that Jeff Wozencraft provided us information and it was shared on the CANA website.
- George Heeren and Nicole Schroeder shared information on how our board is working on developing a community resources campaign on our website, social media, and through print mail. More information will be coming on this project in the coming weeks.
Meeting adjourned at 8:00pm.